Thursday, May 19, 2016

Day #8

Vocal day.

Normally I wouldn't sing as many vocal takes as I did in one day, but I felt as if I was in the right mental musical zone to do them.

Keeping with our theme of an "older" sound, we decided to utilise compression and delay effects on my vocals. Compression lessens the dynamic range between the louder and quieter parts of a music signal by boosting quieter sounds and attenuating louder signals. Delay records a signal, and plays back the same signal after a short period of time, creating a sound similar to that of an echo. With the two effects put together, it would make a voice sound like something recorded in the 1970's, a rich sound that we have been desperately looking for. Recording was relatively quick an easy. I recorded about 2 - 4 vocal tracks for each song - enough to have at least one take that would be to our liking. Though my voice was a bit sore towards the end of the session, our group found that these takes were more than enough, and we were happy with the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment